Our Proud Heritage
Theron`s Meat Products was founded in 1983 by the family Theron. The business started as a small processing meat manufacturing plant in Elson Street, Pretoria West. The facility was very simple and focused on making polonies, Russians, Vienna’s, and bacon. These products were mainly manufactured to create extra income and to complement the fresh meats sold through the chain of Theron`s butcheries, started by the current owner; Dawie Theron`s grandfather: Dawid Theron Senior.
Since the age of 13 years, Dawie was up at 04h00 in the morning during school holidays to work alongside his friends in the butchery. During this period he became a master of sosatie making, carrying parcels for customers, packing products, and cleaning the workstations. Dawie qualified himself as a block man and also gained valuable experience and insight into the wholesale part of the business, buying meat from local abattoirs in the early 1980s.
This practical experience paved the way for his understanding of process flow, productivity in the workplace, and the importance and worth of investing in world-class equipment, to build a processed meat manufacturing plant of note. Thus: the foundations of our brand-new facility were laid long before any actual digging was done on the plot next to the old factory facility. Gaining insight into the inner workings of what makes a business successful, paved the way, to what is today; our pride and honour.
Dawie Theron junior took over the management of Theron`s Meat Products in 1991 and set out to transform the factory into a facility that could service more than just the Theron family butcheries. The goal was to become a manufacturer of note, supplying large wholesale and retail businesses, with a wider range of value-added processed meats. In the early years, the facility was situated on the first floor of the wholesale property. The facility had only one heavy-duty lift to aid in receiving tons of raw meat, spices, and packaging materials. To add to the challenge; receiving, production, dispatch, and administration were managed on one floor consisting of roughly 200 square meters. From the get-go, Dawie was the manager, secretary, bookkeeper, and sales representative all in one!
Within a year the processed meat plant was profitable and the best was yet to come! In 1995 the public was welcomed into the business to buy at wholesale prices. Theron`s Meat Products is proud of our commitment to our valued customers and up to this day sell our quality products at real factory prices.
The business grew in leaps and bounds from the late nineties, and from the start, it was evident that a new facility would be the only solution to stay ahead of sales and manufacturing demands. The facility in Elson Street could never keep up with the growth in product demand. Finding a suitable property proved to be a challenge for 14 years! During this time many upgrades were done to the old facility, but these upgrades only solved the space problems temporarily.
In the year 2009, the Company acquired the property next to the existing factory and set out to build a new facility, which would be on the best of international standards. Extensive research was done on the best machinery and equipment the industry has to offer. With an attentive focus on health and safety standards, operational systems, and the demands of human resources, the rebuilding of Theron`s Meat commenced in March 2009.
- Phase 1 – The new Factory shop was completed and opened on the 9th of November 2009.
- Phase 2 – The ground floor administration offices were completed in March 2010.
- Phase 3 – The new Dispatch department was fully operational on the 2nd of December 2011.
- Phase 4 – The new offices for Management, as well as the production and receiving departments, were completed and fully functional in August 2013.
- Phase 5 – Following unparalleled growth, our very successful factory shop and hot food section needed an upgrade after only 6 years of doing business. To meet the ever-growing demand for good home-cooked food @ affordable prices, we needed more preparation space and heavy-duty stoves and flat-top grills.
The 2015 upgrade to the hot food section allowed us to give the factory shop a bit of a modern “facelift” to enhance the consumers’ buying and service experience.
- Phase 6 – A brand new production area for Theron`s Pork Rib range was built during 2017 and 2018. This department is run separately to ensure the highest standard of food safety and hygiene.
- Phase 7 – The existing fresh sausage production area was upgraded and enlarged. This allows Theron`s to manufacture a higher volume of fresh sausages with the bonus of state-of-the-art food safety and hygiene process flow practices. This ensures quality and freshness at all times.
- This year marks 41 years in the Meat Processing Industry. We are humbled by the success that followed hard work and perseverance. We pride ourselves in serving our community and contributing to economic growth, by selling Theron`s Meat`s QUALITY products @ REAL FACTORY PRICES, DIRECTLY TO THE PUBLIC, and not only to WHOLESALERS & RETAILERS.